Bachelor of Business in Tourism and Hospitality Management with Honours
About this course
The Bachelor of Business in Tourism and Hospitality Management with Honours is an independent year of study offered to students who demonstrate meritorious performance in their undergraduate studies.
The School of Tourism and Hospitality Management honours course is a practical model in which the Honours student becomes a “research apprentice”. It offers students the necessary research tools to learn the trade of rigorous scholarly enquiry and build a bridge to further higher research degree studies.
Interested applicants need to contact the University to discuss their eligibility and to find a suitable honours supervisor for their proposed honours topic prior to lodging their application.
The Honours course is designed to develop a student’s research skills in an area of tourism or hospitality management in which they have an interest. The course provides students with a solid foundation for undertaking postgraduate study (Masters or PhD), as well as essential skills for careers involving research, policy or public/private consultancy work. Undertaking Honours builds high level skills for managing a project and developing independent research skills.
MySCU is a student's point of entry to a range of online services and resources that support study and student life. The portal includes unit learning sites and information sites where students can access resources, communication tools and useful links that are integral to their studies.
The web-based study environment Blackboard Learn delivers an advanced online learning environment for students and lecturers to communicate and collaborate through virtual meeting spaces, classrooms, and discussion boards. They can share files, presentations and applications. If a tutorial or lecture is recorded, students can view it afterwards.
Learning materials include the provision of unit information guides, study guides and readings. Students may need to purchase or access prescribed text books.
The Academic Skills team supports student learning by offering online and on-campus academic skills workshops, assignment reviews and small group or one-on-one face-to-face, phone or Skype consultations during business hours 9am to 4.30pm. Appointments can be made via the MySCU Hub ‘Connect Now’ button or on the Academic Skills home page. Students can also book appointments online in Career Hub.
The YourTutor service provides online after-hours study support for SCU students. This service is available from 4pm to midnight Sunday to Friday via the 'Connect Now' button on MySCU Hub or from a link in nominated unit learning sites. The YourTutor service offers generic writing feedback and live online chat assistance for foundational concepts and study skills.
Equipment and facilities
Southern Cross University provides students with modern well equipped teaching spaces such as lecture theatres, classrooms, and studios or laboratories tailored to meet the needs of specific study disciplines. Contemporary audiovisual equipment is standard in most teaching venues, and students have access to computer labs for individual study purposes.
See the University’s Rules Relating to Awards, in conjunction with the Specific Award Rules listed below.
Table of contents
Students are required to pass MNG40033 Advanced Research Seminar in Tourism, Hospitality and Events to satisfactorily progress through the remainder of the Honours course. The result of this unit will count as 25% of the total Honours grade, and the written thesis will count towards the remaining 75%.The course will comprise research leading to the completion of a thesis based upon original work. The thesis will have a workload requirement equivalent to eight (8) units;
Schedule of units
How to apply
Interested applicants need to contact the School directly to discuss their eligibility and to find a suitable honours supervisor for their proposed honours topic prior to lodging their application. Apply directly to the University.
Southern Cross University accepts applications directly through the International Application for Admissions form.
Additional information on how to apply is available at SCU International. Please note applicants from some countries need to go through an Education Agent.
The information on this page may be subject to change over time. Please check this page again before acting and see our disclaimer.
From the 1st of June, 2017, the term 'Distance Education' has been replaced with 'Online'